"Looting" or "Finding"?

Look at these two photos that were taken during the New Orleans Katrina flooding, and their captions. Why do you think they wrote that the couple “found” food, and the man “looted” (stole) it?

31 thoughts on “"Looting" or "Finding"?

1. I think the guy stole the food from the couple because he was hungry or maybe he was a thief.

2. I think the man looted because he looks like he has more food than the couple also he’s alone. The couple looks like they found the food because they’re traveling together and they have less food.

3. I think they think the little boy looted the food because he got a whole bag full and they don’t think he’ll find that much food. And the couple that they think found that food they just have some things with them not a whole bag full of food. or i don’t know but that’s what i think

4. i think the boy looted because it was easier to take then to find…and the couple found they know whats right…

5. i think the boy looted because they think hes bad…and they think couple found because mabe of the race..

6. I think the couples found the food because they probably trying hard and the guy who they say he looted food he was probably too lazy to go find his own food.

7. The dude stole from a couple because he probaly had a family of his own to take care of.

8. well it think the man maby took some of the couples food beacause he might of thought that was his only choice to survive without food

9. I don’t think he is looting. He might have just found the food and put it in a garbage bag. Now other people might be looting because it is not in a bage.

10. I think that the couple would have gotten more things if they were looting. The other guy had a bag full so they thought he was looting.

11. they said he was stealing because somebody seen him stealing or he probably was still stuff before it got flooded.

12. I think they said the couple “found” food and the man “looted” food because of a few reasons. The first reason is it might’ve been about the race. Second, because the couple only has bread&soda but the man has a big bag full of things. Third, it was 2 different writers who wrote the stories so they had their opinions if it was stealing or not.

13. The couple got less for both the other guy got lots more so they thought he was looting.

14. To me saying that the couple found food in a store and the guy stole food from a store is some what being racist just because the guy has more food and isn’t white doesn’t mean he stole it and for the couple to find food and take it doesn’t that mean they stole it to since they took it without paying or permission.

15. they said he was stealing because somebody seen him stealing or he probably was stealing stuff before the place got all mast up.

16. i think the couple found “food” in a store because the gut at the stole food from store.

17. there are two writers so they had diffrent opinon on rather it was stealing or not.

18. I think the little boy looted because he has a whole bag full of items and the couple don’t have as much.

19. or maybe the food was from his home and he just put it in a bag to take it with him.

20. I think the couples “found” food because they could have went back to their house and got food. The other guy could have went to a store.

21. i think he was looting but not from the couple…i think they said that because they only seen the picture and and they dont know what happen but i wasnt there ethere so maybe he was looting from them

22. i think that the people thought that he was “looting” cause he looked like that he had a lot more food than he needed and the couple only took a little bit of food form the store.

23. I think that the couple would have gotten more things if they were looting. The other guy had a bag full so they thought he was looting. They guy who is stealing is a bad dude and the people who find food are good people

24. I think the boy looted because he has a big bag all by himself and it is not that easy to find that much food and in that big-o bag.

I think the couple found there food because if they would or stolen the food they should have more food then that, that is my opinion 🙂

25. I think the reason why the man looted because it was easier to steal then to find foo might.The couples might have tried really hard to find some food. That could be the reason why they thought he was looting.

26. They claimed the young man was “looting” because, he had a whole bag of food, and supplies. Also, the two residents didn’t have that much, so they called it “finding”.

27. i think the little boy have bunch of food…..that why he carrying with him…..or he might stole from somewhere else…..