Would You Climb Mount Everest?

Posted on June 2, 2010 in Everest by larryferlazzo

Please type your “ABC” response to this question in the comments section of this post.

Then, please respond to two-or-three of the “ABC” paragraphs written by your classmates.

Say:

Do you agree or disagree with their choice to climb or not to climb?

Why? (Please make a connection to your personal experience, a text, or a movie when you explain why).

95 Responses to 'Would You Climb Mount Everest?'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Would You Climb Mount Everest?'.

1.   Ms. Hull said,

on June 2nd, 2010 at 4:17 pm     

If I had the time and the money, I think I would attempt to climb Everest. In the Headlines Data Set, number 8 titled “Spokane man becomes the oldest American man to climb Mt. Everest”, is about Dawes Eddy, a 66-year-old who summited Everest in 2009, becoming the oldest American man to climb the mountain. On his website it states, “When you turn 65 do you want to be over the hill or still able to climb the hill?” I think he makes a great point. Why should people stop being active or taking risks just because they are growing older? I hope I will always push myself to learn and try new things as I get older . . . because that’s what life is about!

2.   larryferlazzo said,

on June 3rd, 2010 at 11:29 am     

I agree with Ms. Hull — I think it’s great that Eddy is climbing Everest. I am always trying to learn new things now — like how to do better teamwork on the basketball court and how to use computers. I hope I’m still doing the same when I’m in my seventies.

Mr. Ferlazzo

3.   larryferlazzo said,

on June 2nd, 2010 at 6:59 pm     

I think I would like to climb Mount Everest before I get too old. Article number 16 in the Headline Data Set, titled “The Oldest Man To Climb Mt. Everest, is about a man who is over seventy years old and is planning to be the oldest man to ever climb the mountain. It says, “Yuichiro Miura is in the midst of a three year training regimen that will include the climb to the top.” I don’t want to reach that age and regret not having done something I had always wanted to do. Taking risks to accomplish one’s goals is what life is really all about. Plus, don’t think I want to spend three years training for anything! It won’t take me as long to train now since I’m young and strong.

4.   Rudy said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 11:58 am     

No I would not climb Mt. Everest because lots of people die there and there are lots of dead bodies that are left on the mountain “120 dead bodies remain of the mountain.” I don’t think that I would try to climb it because I don’t want to die.

5.   leslie saechao said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 11:59 am     

same here people are crazy if they really have the guts to climb it…

6.   tom moua said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:13 pm     

i wouldnt climb mount everest too because im scared to die or freeze to death

7.   Diego melchor said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:21 pm     

i agree i would not want to climb Mt.everest.i would not want o see any dead bodies.
    It would make me feel like i have no chance of making it to the summit. I doubt anyone in this
    class wants to climb mt. everest.

8.   Lawernce said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:34 pm     

i agree because Everest is a death trap

9.   Houa L, said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 3:52 pm     

that right and there was 189 dead bodies and there was many bodies that frozen…..that must be crazy……..

10.   Lourdes Garcia said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 4:00 pm     

well i mean yeahh it is cold but if you really get prepared for it then do it. and especially like some harry people they wont get that cold.
    if you know what i mean.lol

11.   leslie saechao said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 11:58 am     

I don’t think I would ever climb Mt. Everest because lots of people died there.
    In the data set it says, “Of the 189 people who have died in their
    attempts, an estimated 120 of them remain there.”
    My question to everyone is Why do people want to climb
    Mount Everest when so many people die up there?

12.   Rudy said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:10 pm     

i agree with what you said

13.   TiNA said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:11 pm     

I AGREE (:

14.   Harmony said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:23 pm     

I agree with you there because I wouldn’t want to die like the other climbers that die up there.

15.   xong vue said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:27 pm     

I agree because i don’t want to risk my life climbing on Mount Everest.

16.   Diego melchor said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:30 pm     

i guess it just for the attention but its not worth it
    they are going to be tired for a while,i doubt its fun climbing mountain.
    but yeah i agree with you.

17.   Lawernce said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:38 pm     

i agree people are just crazy if they know people died on that mountain

18.   tom moua said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:10 pm     

If I had a chance to go to Mount Everest I would not go because I don’t have any experience on climbing or I can die or freeze to death on Mount Everest. “Article 17 most bodies are located in the death zone, the area above the final base camp.” Some people die a lot on the death zone.

19.   Arthur said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:29 pm     

It’s true that people do tend to die on Everest but they are doing what they love right but it is true i would not want to die on Everest.

20.   Sulia Niupalau said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:31 pm     

i disagree, with your decision because you didn’t have enough statements to back up your decision. but again that’s why people are trained and ONLY climb when fully Prepared !

21.   Houa L, said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 4:00 pm     

i agree with him………..

22.   TiNA said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:11 pm     

I don’t think I would ever climb Mount Everest because so many deaths have happened. From the data set,” of the 189 people who have died in their attempts, an estimated 120 of them remain on the mountain.” Beside not climbing Mount Everest because all the deaths but also cause I’m very scared of heights and because the training takes a long process.

23.   Diego melchor said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:12 pm     

I would not want to climb Mt.everest. in the Mt. Everest data set article 17, are dead bodies on Mount Everest it says”The simple reason that the bodies of dead climbers are scatteres about on Mount Everest”. Dead bodies on Mt. Everest would make me want to not climb Mt. Everest. I would not want to stumbble across a dead body, it would make me feel like I have a less chance of making it to the top of the mountain.I wouldent want to have my bpdy stuch on the top of Mt. everest even if there are choises I wouldent want people risking their time to take me back home.This reminds me of the a movie called vertival limit, a lot of people died in that movie this makes me wonder what wat there choise for what they want to have doen with their bodies.I would not want to climb mount everest for many reasons , but I would not want to see many dead bodies on the mountain.

24.   Celina said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:43 pm     

I agree. I would not have much confidence if I saw a dead body on the ground. It would probably make me wanna go back down.

25.   Lawrence said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 4:13 pm     

i agee because i hate dead bodies.

26.   leslie saechao said,

on June 7th, 2010 at 1:00 pm     

i agree. i would problaby vomit or scream if i was to see a dead body.

27.   payingl. said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:14 pm     

Yes, I would climb Everest, Mountaineering Data set is about Wanda Rutkiewicz is one of the most famous woman climbers, she was the first person from polish people. She was last seen in 1492 on Mt. Kanchenjunga, preparing for a solo summit bid the following day. I don’t want to stay my whole life at home, I want to explore my life instead of sitting at home for my whole life, I want to have a challenging day sometimes and I think climbing Mt. Everest is challenging.

28.   leslie saechao said,

on June 7th, 2010 at 12:58 pm     

i agree. if i was to see a dead body i would problaby scream or vomit.

29.   souaxee her said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:15 pm     

i don’t want to die so I am not going to climb mt.Everest because it is a stupid idea. who would want to risk the chance of dieing and just be a history of someone who die.

30.   Brenda M. said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:16 pm     

No I would not climb Mount Everest I think Is dumb because
    I wouldn’t train for along time just to climb it with a big risk
    or dying, the training and climbing takes a long time to just
    be a little bit of time up there and just come back down in a
    read aloud it said “six bodies had been found and two others
    had been abandoned” so I will be scared to just fall and die, so
    I wouldn’t do it

31.   felipe gonzalez negrete said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:24 pm     

its not dumb

32.   Lawernce said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:42 pm     

i agree Brenda im scared of heights

33.   ka'mani bennett said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:50 pm     

i so agree with u brenda

34.   Lourdes Garcia said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 3:55 pm     

omg i know right,i do agree with you brenda i would never risk my young life just for
    a mountain.

35.   Harmony said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:20 pm     

I wouldn’t like to climb Mt Everest. Like in Article 14 titled “Adventurers Change. Danger does not.” Was about a man at 34 lay freezing to death. His name was David Sharp he died because 40 other mountaineers walk past leaving him to the loneliest of death and even at my young age or old age I don’t want to climb Mt Everest.

36.   Felipe L. said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:25 pm     

This is another example why i won’t climb Mt. Everest because people wont care if your dying.

37.   xong vue said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:26 pm     

I agree, because Harmony think of the same thing as I do.

38.   Sulia Niupalau said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:29 pm     

i agree, with your decision because it is very dangerous to climb Mt. Everest. Also knowing that its also very dangerous for someone to try and bring you down Everest if you are sick while climbing on the mountain, makes me think twice about climbing.

39.   Sulia Niupalau said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:22 pm     

I’m not sure if I would climb Everest or not. Article number 6 in the Headline Data Set, titled “California Teenager wants to summit Mt. Everst”, is about the teenagers in California, and how video games, computers, and many other Medias used now a day interfear into the inportant things that teenagers should spend a lot more time with. But again it’s dangerous to try and do something like climb Mt. Everest.Maybe later on when I am a lot older I would climb Everest. But right now im too young and am not fully prepared phisically.

40.   felipe gonzalez negrete said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:22 pm     

yes i would want to climb Everest. i would want to climb Everest because like Conrad Anker says “because Everest pays” I would want to make money as well as climb Everest just for the fun o fit. that’s why i would climb Everest.

41.   xong vue said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:22 pm     

I would not like to climb Mount Everest.
    In the cloze called “The Climate of Mount Everest.”
    It says, “In January, the coldest month, the summit temperature
    averages about minus 33 degrees Fahrenheit and can drop as
    low as -77 degrees Fahrenheit.” Mount Everest is very cold and
    I don’t want to risk my life or body part from freezing to death.

42.   Yazmin Lopez said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:29 pm     

Xong i kind of agree with you…Many people would not want to risk their lives and freeze to death…

43.   Houa L, said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 3:54 pm     

wow!!!! January is so cold i wouldn’t go climb on Mount Everest,…….

44.   ker said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 4:07 pm     

from reading your ABC… I agree with you that at the summit it too cold.

45.   Meuy said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:23 pm     

I think would never climb Mount Everest. Article number 17, in the Headline Data Set, titled “Are the dead bodies on Mount Everest” is about the many dead bodies still on Everest. It states, “Of the 189 people who have died in their attempts, an estimated 120 of them remain there.” I’m not a person who would like my dead body just lying anywhere. Risking my life to climb Everest is something I would never plan on doing.

46.   Melesiale Heleta said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:28 pm     

Girl you missed a word. Lol . . .You missed I after “I think”

47.   Celina said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:39 pm     

By reading Meuy’s ABC, I would probably regret choosing to climb Mount Everest. I did not know, they had so many dead bodies still in Mount Everest. Who would know, I might be one of them. If i tried to climb.

48.   Houa L, said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:45 pm     

i agree with Meuy and there were lot of people die…

49.   Felipe L. said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:23 pm     

I would not want to climb Mt. Everest. Because article number 15 made me decide to not climb Mt. Everest. The reason why i decided to not climb Mt. Everest. Is because in 2007 six people died trying to climb Mt. Everest. And out of those people that died were young men. And that overall 31 percent of people would make it to the summit and a 1.5 chance of dying. This is why I would not climb Mt. Everest because the risk of dying and the chance of making it to the top.

50.   Yazmin Lopez said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:23 pm     

i think that i would not climb Mt. Everest…I would need a lot of training and would need to be prepared. Many people have died up there… In the Headline data set its says, “of the the 189 people who have died in their attempts, an estimated 120 of them remain there…” It would be nice at first but knowing all the risks i rather not……..

51.   payingl. said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:28 pm     

I Do and do not agree with Yazmin LOl, Sometimes i believe it is pretty dangerous and scary when you think about it but at the same if you really want to climb Everest you wouldn’t be as much.

52.   tommyvue said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:48 pm     

That’s true you do need a lot of time to practice climbing and it will take several years.

53.   Melesiale Heleta said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:25 pm     

Yes, I would climb Mt. Everest. BUT, if only I had the time and money right. Why? Because seeing others climb the Mt. Everest && especially “teenagers” makes you want to go out there and do the same thing too. This is my opinion on if I would climb Mt. Everest.

54.   Arthur said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:26 pm     

Yes I would like to climb Mt. Everest. In article number 4 “Snowboarding Down Everest” Stephen Koch climbed Everest and snowboarded back down. Even though he went during the mid-monsoon season he still became the first person to snowboard down Everest. It says “was Stephen Koch extremely brave, extremely stupid, or a bit of both?” I guess he was a bit of both if you ask me. It would be fun to do something you love at the risk of knowing that you might die doing it, seems fun. You only live once right.

55.   Mario Castaneda said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:34 pm     

Y would you climb Mt.Everest you must be crazy to climb Mt.Everest

56.   darrick brooks said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:42 pm     

I dont agree wilth you because im not going to tdie from climbing a mount.

57.   tommyvue said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:30 pm     

I would like to climb Everest, but I will not risk so I don’t want to climb Everest. In the article number one in the dataset says, “we started to trip out” is when they are starting the trip to the summit of Everest. The African American Team is only full of African American and they are trying to be on the top of the world. I wonder how are they going to make it to the top? But it seems to me that they will surely make it. If they try their best they can do it.

58.   Lawernce said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:30 pm     

Would I want to climb MT.Everst? No, I wouldn’t climb Mt. Everest? NO, I wouldn’t climb my. Everest because it looks like you can’t get back down. A lot of people died from trying to climb that mountain, and if I climb that mountain I wouldn’t be dead from being high in the air, because the fear I would have. Another reason why I don’t want to climb it is because it’s a waste of time doing, and I want to live.

People who climb that mountain have sometimes died. An 88 year old man died from climb the mountain. A lot of people can get tired and the rope can get cut.

The people who climb the mountain are crazy. Even the blind people are crazy for trying to climb the mountain. It’s a waste of time, I think people climb the mountain because their board.

59.   Celina said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:31 pm     

I think I would like to climb Mount Everest. Page 65 in the read aloud about Erik Weihenmayer it titled “Erik is not impatient or smug.” He does not care what anybody says about him being blind and climbing one of the highest peeks in the world. I was surprised, that he climbed, and reached the summit of Mount Everest. He is also, the first blind person to climb Mount Everest. I wonder how many years of training took him. If I was blind, that would completely change my answer to a no.

60.   Meuy said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:37 pm     

I agree with Celina.If I was blind I wouldn’t climb. It would take way too much work.

61.   Diego Melchor said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 4:08 pm     

i would want to climb Mt everest i i was blind!
    it would be fun running into the walls.
    I wonder if he ran into wall while he was climbing!!!

62.   yazmin guzman said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:31 pm     

I would never climb Mt. Everest because it’s something I would never consider doing. First of all its to dangerous second of all its to much money some people have different thoughts they think its worth paying 65,000 dollars because its something they love in my case I wouldn’t pay that much money because its something I lover or would ever do. In Everest narrative data set it says “Above 26,00 feet ,there is so little oxygen that climbers bodies cant adopt. Anyone who remains at this elevation will get weaker and weaker and eventually die.” So as you can see even oxygen is a problem up there so imagine all the other dangers there is to confront and go through so I would prefer to not walk into my own death and risk my life.

63.   Mario Castaneda said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:32 pm     

I wouldn’t climb Mt. Everest. Cause article #14 in the headline data set, it’s about “a 34 year old British climber who lies freezing to death while 40 other mountaineer walk past, leaving him to the loneliest of deaths.” I don’t want that to happen to me people just leaving there to die.

64.   Houa L, said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:33 pm     

I would not climb Mount Everest because is too dangerous for me. Just like the article number 17 in the headline data set “Are there dead bodies on Mount Everest?” There were 189 dead bodies at the attempt. Also, most bodies were locating in the “Death Zone”, that final base camp at 26,000 feet tall. There was also many dead bodies that frozen in time. For me, I don’t want to waste me time to climb on Mount Everest. I don’t need to be a famous climbing person and I want to give my time to play with my family and have fun with them. People who climb on Mount Everest are they out of their mine to climb at 29,035 ft tall.

65.   ker said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 4:00 pm     

I agree with houa that was so much people death on Mt. Everest.

66.   Lawrence said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 4:21 pm     

i agree it is very dangerous and a death zone

67.   Luis Mora said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:34 pm     

Yes I would climb Mount. Everest because we all going to die eventually .And life’s a risk, so why not climb Mount. Everest ? I got this information from the Mount. Everest data set. I would climb , because I want to be in the news , and even if I don’t make it to the top I want to be known as a person that climbed Mount. Everest .People of all ages are climbing there’s a 13,16,71,88 possibly even more.

68.   darrick brooks said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:38 pm     

I would not climb Mount Everest. “In Everest narrative data set number 30 I say above 26,000 feet there is so little oxygen”. I don’t want to die because I can’t take a breath.

69.   Xai Thao said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:41 pm     

I wouldn’t want to climb Mount Everest because of dangerous death zone. There are cold, avalanches, and scary heights. For a reason of those, I just wait and see. I have a connection, a connection that I read about the danger of climbing down from the summit of Mount Everest. Especially the Khumbu Icefall along with HAPE and HACE on high altitudes are all obstacles. In the Khumbu Icefall was where researching most deaths occurred from falling avalanches and ice.

70.   ernesto said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:42 pm     

I would not climb MT. Everest because i would probably have goals that i would like to accomplish.
    So if i was to climb everest and die I would not be able to accomplish my goals. In the data set
    number 17. It states that “out of the the 189 people who have died in thier attempts. That this is a
    grusome reminder to those who try to reach the summit of how perilous it can be.”
    This is why i would not climb Everest because the statement is saying that it is really dangerous
    and you alot of people have died in their attempts . =)

71.   alberto dominguez said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:54 pm     

hahah u scared dats funny

72.   Meuy said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 3:50 pm     

I agree with Ernesto. I have other things I want to accomplish in life that I might not get too if I risk my life climbing Everest.

73.   Lourdes Garcia said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 3:57 pm     

yeahh you should accomplish your goals first,maybe you should give it a try some day and
    see if you make it to the top.lol.
    hey is there penguins up there?

74.   lisa alvarez said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:44 pm     

I would climb Everest. I believe if 13 year old Jordan Romero could climb the top of Everest then why cant I. Jordan climbed several mountains and I believe I can do it. In the data set it states, “At the age of 10, Romero became the youngest American to climb Africa’s Kilimanjaro, and since then he has climbed four of the world’s highest peaks.” I think Jordan’s grate for all that but maybe a year of training for me could make me catch up to him if I just stayed positive and keep my hopes up.

75.   ker said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:45 pm     

I think I would never climb Everest, because so much people died.
    As like the article number 20 in the headline data set of little is ” why climbers
    die on Mount Everest”. I know that climbing not self to everyone.
    It had to be slowly. Climbing Mt. Everest’s dangerous and I’m fear to death at Mt. Everest, because
    Nobody will take me down on earth to see my family. As like the article is “we know
    That climbing Everest is dangerous. But exactly how and why people have died had not been studied”.
    I don’t’ want go didn’t had not been studied it death like no any problem!

76.   ka'mani bennett said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:47 pm     

i think i would not climb mount everest.the reason y i would not climb everest is because many people died because the illnesses people get or maybe if they just fell off the mountain.Here iz a quot from article 10 from the data set.”The detlydration effect of the altitude and the cold was making it essential to drink more than the accepted minimum of eight pints a day and to force oneself to eat weather one felt like it or not.

77.   victor said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:50 pm     

I want climb Mt. Everest because I don’t want climb a mount for nothing. A lot of people have die when they climb the mount the number of people that die for “climbing is about 189”. The located place where people die the most is at “THE DEATH ZONE”. This why I don’t want to climb Everest because maybe I will be one of those die people in Mt. Everest.

78.   alberto dominguez said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:52 pm     

I will climb Mount Everest because it looks cool and it looks really big and tall. And it looks like ill take like days or weeks because you need to stop to rest and eat and sleep and it gets cold at night. And it gets hard to breathe when you go more up. Like I’ve climb a mountain in Las Vegas when I was small. And I’ve seen people climb mountains too.

79.   Dshaune F said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:54 pm     

No, I wouldn’t try to climb Mount Everest. I wouldn’t even think about climbing Everest. One of the reasons why I wouldn’t climb Mount Everest is because I want to go to the NBA and because they leave dead bodies on the mountain. For example in exemplar number 17 in the headlines data set in the second paragraph it says “Most of the bodies are located in the “death zone” the area above the final base camp at 26,000 ft.” whoever climbs Mount Everest is real brave and also real dumb. There is a 50/50 chance that you will live or die on Mount Everest.

80.   Maria said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:55 pm     

Mount Everest may be a life risking, exciting, and one in a lifetime chance for some people, just not for me. Personally I wouldn’t climb Mount Everest because it’s too dangerous. In the mountaineering data set, number 8, it quotes, “An “ice fall” is a feature of a mountain terrain in which a glacier falls so steeply that it creates a series of crevasses and ice pinnacles, it is one of the most dangerous features encountered on a mountain climb.” Just by reading this quote I had a lot of thoughts in what could happen to me if I were to ever climb Mount Everest. And the thought of me just standing there while huge chunks of ice are rapidly headed my way makes me afraid. I’ve never thought of cutting my life short for a mountain I’m not even going to finish climbing, I’m too young in risking my life on something that’s not even my passion of doing. Just like everyone has something they love to do, dancing is something I love to do, not mountain climbing. And that is why I wouldn’t even think about climbing Mount Everest.

81.   Lourdes Garcia said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 12:56 pm     

No, I would never climb mount Everest because it is very very dangerous and many people have died climbing the
    mountai. I mean it really wouldn’t matter if I climed the mountain because so many people have already climed it. I
    also wouldn’t risk my life just for mountain. Im very young and I have goals for my furture.
    “Above 26,000 feet, there is little oxygen that climbers bodies can’t adapt. Anyone who remains at this elevation
    will get weaker and weaker and eventually die.

82.   ker said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 3:58 pm     

I agree with Her that so much people death on Mt. Everest.

83.   Lawrence said,

on June 4th, 2010 at 4:11 pm     

No I don’t want to climb Everest becouse peaple die trying to climb it.
    A 88 year old man was killed or he fell off.
    People who climb the mountain have no life.

Post a comment

Skip to toolbar