International News Poem

Dear Poets!

Please read and review our current international news topics. You may select a topic from one of these recommended websites:

International News

News Poem

Write a poem that is based on a newspaper story, television news report, or online video.

Follow Hongo’s pattern in “The Legend”:

1. Begin with a close observation of the scene, focus on the setting by using vivid imagery. Describe the characters (people) involved.
  2. Using present tense active voice verbs, describe the events
  3. Begin with an objective, factual tone and create a shift in tone, moving to a more subjective, personal tone.
  4. Include an allusion to a famous person, which helps to make a philosophical statement
  5. End your poem with a comment on your feelings and thoughts about the event.

One thought on “International News Poem”

1. I am from a place where early summer mornings start off with the aroma of pancakes and brown sugar bacon ,
    I am from a place where all the kids play happily together on the block , where imaginations are beyond the sky , where we play to the street lights come on .

I am at a place where I am not comfortable walking down the street ,
    I am at a place where the sound of sirens is like a lullaby putting a baby to sleep ,
    I am at a place where death is like polluting the earth

I want to give back ,
    I want to be at a place where I am comfortable with my life ,
    I want to be an admirable woman , I want not to be famous , not to be rich , but just successful ,
    I want to have peace at mind with myself knowing that all my goals are met .