June Summer Reading Post

Hey Juniors!

What are you reading?! Don’t just sit around in front of a television all summer. Read a good book! As a learning community, we strive to encourage each other to take risks and be open-minded. Often, we see reading as a task or chore, which may have little relevance to our immediate lives. So, in an effort to promote reading and find some truly memorable books, I’m asking that you share your summer reading each month.

If you’re not sure where to start, I suggest that you look at Time Magazine’s “All-Time Great 100 Novels” or simply peruse the current books being recommended on www.Goodreads.com

I just finished reading Margaret Atwood’s Oryx and Crake, a dystopian novel set in the near future whereby nearly everything is being genetically altered and engineered in an effort to meet consumer demands. It’s a frightening premise, especially the destructive nature of the experiments, yet Atwood deftly illustrates the dangers of having everything. Not recommended for optimistic readers! 4/5 stars

1. Post a comment in the comment section

2. Describe the book you are reading and give a brief recommendation. If you like you can give a star rating out of 5 stars!

Kind Regards,

Mr. Coey

p.s. our next post will be at the end of July!

One thought on “June Summer Reading Post”

1. People from all over the world immigrate to the United States. Everyday is a battle for them. They are sacrificing there life to give there loved ones a better one.
    I see many posters, advertisements, build boards, commercials etc. about immigration. I hear announcements about immigration. But I feel as if many people say it needs to stop, but never actually do something about it.
    Immigration is somewhat like “karma”. Your doing bad to get good or something you want. But at the end it all back fired because then you get in trouble and Today is a great day to speak up about immigration. Today is also a great day to stop immigration. Like the great man Barack Obama said himself not that long ago,” Deportation should be targeting criminals, not working parents”.
    I have a dream that one day the economy can get better so that there could be more jobs. So that the people who immigrate can actually have a job once they get here. I have a dream that one day there can be an organization for the people who are immigrating can have somewhere to go. I have a dream, a dream that one-day immigrants from all over the world can live a better life.
    deported back and get into a lot of trouble. Today is a great day to take the first step.