Writeon's Blog

A Sacramento City School Blog

The Sorrow of War, Reflective Statement and Essay

February28

Dear IB English students,

You continue to impress me with your creative ideas and commendable work ethos. You take risks while remaining true to your academic principles. You are growing as critical thinkers and writers.

Due Wednesday, March 5th is the following:

Reflective Statement of 300-400 words.

Sorrow of War essay of 1200-1500 words*.

*nearly all of the exemplary essays I have reviewed have used the words available.

Click below to access a sample essay with examiner’s comments.

Exemplary Essay and Reflective Statement

(Extra-credit awarded if by Monday you can tell me how many times the author’s name, Mulisch, is used in the sample ‘exemplary essay’ from above)

Enlish HL sample 9 examiner comments

Rubric for World Literature Essay

Given my experience with these essays, in addition, I ask you to keep the following in mind:

1. Write with your novel open and in front of you. So many errors in reasoning or citing can be easily avoided if you write with your novel open and refer to the text as you develop your essay.

2. Proofread for ‘dead words’ and active voice verbs. For a list of awesome verbs to use in an essay try this list of Verbs for Literary Essays.

3. Ask yourself if your topic sentences are ‘mini-thesis statements’. Do your topic sentences relate to your thesis?

4. Where in your essay are you discussing Bao Ninh’s choices? Some writers choose to write about Ninh in each body paragraph, while others reserve that discussion for the conclusion of the essay. Either way, you MUST discuss his choices as they relate to your topic. Be sure to answer the questions ‘why?’ and ‘how?’

5. Relax. Yes you may just write the greatest essay of your life over the next five days, but it is possible it will take much longer. Have a growth mindset! And, above all else, remember you are already awesome.

by posted under IB English, Writing | Comments Off on The Sorrow of War, Reflective Statement and Essay    

Skip to toolbar