Human Rights

November 28, 2007 by alicemercer · 89 Comments · assignments, links

Photo: http://flickr.com/photos/riacale/1347847390/ from riacale’s photostream (Creative Commons license)

UDHR: Plain Language Version

• Read about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This says what rights everyone, everywhere in the world should have.

UDHR–The Rights of Children: Plain Language Version

• Learn about the rights all children should have

What rights do you think children should have? Send me a comment with 3 sentences about this topic.

89 Comments so far ↓

• Maria S.

One right to children is to let them go to any school not one because of their color.

This is not enough, PLEASE WRITE MORE.–Ms. Mercer

• oscarl.

kids got rights to play sport.
    kids got rights to eat food.
    kids got rights to speak another language.

• aaliyah t

One of the rights that should be is that kids can carry there own money.Why?Because kids want to go out and bye what ever they want to and we might spend our money up but we are kids and we want to have our fun to,Right?

• Victor A.

Kids have the right to vote for the president of U.S.A.They should vote because kids also want to vote.If they vote nothing will happen and it’s like the same.
    I don’t understand this, why should they vote if it doesn’t make a difference.–Ms. Mercer

• Nai S.

The right I think children should have is to do what they want.For example they can eat how much they want.They can also play all they want but they have the right to dis obey there parents because it is free world.

• kong x

kids should have their own rights because when they grow up they can be what they want to be…And kids should have the rights to eat and exercise…

• jacob. n

win I get older I can watch any scary move or listen to the songs I wont to listen.

• aerreus e.

i think that children should have there own rights because other countries and states like california have their own rights.

I don’t understand this, PLEASE REWRITE.–Ms. Mercer

• marcus w.

I think every kid should do there chose there own thing they want to do for there life so they could be there thing to remember .

• william

I think children should have the right to learn at school. Next they should meet people.

This is good. Did you mean that they should be able to meet people and make friends.–Ms. Mercer

• Jessica S.

I think that all children have the right to disobey an adult because it’s a free country.I think that they have the right to not listen to adults also because some children doesn’t make a mess.That is what I think about for kids because I know that kids are to small or to lazy to clean up after someone else’s mess.
    I don’t understand, do you mean that kids should be able to disagree, or disobey? PLEASE REWRITE.–Ms. Mercer

• greg

Children have rights to go to any school .It dose not matter what color they are .Thats why kids have rights.
    Good job.–Ms. Mercer

• Misha

i think are mom and dad should give us more freeso that we can learn are mistakes then when they tell you dom some thing we will listen thats what i think

I don’t understand this. Are you saying parents should give you more free things, or more freedom? What dumb things do they tell you? PLEASE REWRITE.–Ms. Mercer

• AbileneD.

kids have a right to have a friend without their other friend saying you cant be her friend i don’t like her=(And kids have a right choose their food and not have any one to say eat this eat that:(And kids have a right to sit any where they want without anyone to say you cant sit there your white/black=(
    Wow, do people say that people who are white shouldn’t sit next to people who are black? Have you had that happen. Good job.–Ms. Mercer

• Vili T.

I think that kidz can drive a car.I want kids to drive places like city,state,and houses.I also think that kidz can also buy there cars to drive.
    Good job, but it’s kids not kidz, and how will kids pay for the car?–Ms. Mercer

• Kassandra C.

I think that kids have the right to speak another language. It think that cause kids should not forget their main language. If that ever happened that would be bad.
    Excellent writing. Great ideas.–Ms. Mercer

• jacqueline s

One of my writes is to be able to call friends when i want and to go out side and play with my dog.
    This is not enough, PLEASE WRITE MORE about rights.–Ms. Mercer

• tava r

Any child should have the rights to go to a school. Children should be treated the same. Children should be opened to do anything.
    Good job, but how can a child be opened?–Ms. Mercer

• sonya s.

I think children should be able to work under the age of10.I also think children should eat as much as they want to.I also think children should be able to talk to as much of there friends on the phone.
    Good job, nice ideas and well written.–Ms. Mercer

• ERYANA.S.

Kids shod git ulouwis for doing the rite thing at home and school. We shod have the rite to go to school . We shod have the rite to eat .

Good job on the ideas, but you should watch your spelling, so you can get a better grade. It’s always a good idea and the right thing to do.–Ms. Mercer

• patricia

I think that we should be let to now the same education as anybody older than us.Like us elementary kids could have music,art,and wood shop.Thats what I would like if we had our rights.
    Good job and good ideas.–Ms. Mercer

• alfredo

children have rights to have a job. It dose not matter if you are color you can go to any school. we have rights to have fun.
    Good job, but watch your capitals and spelling.–Ms. Mercer

• Alfonso

Kids have rights to watch T.V.
    Kids have rights to go to school.
    kids have the right to be what they want to be.
    Good job.–Ms. Mercer

• Brendan V.

I think we should be respected by elders even if they are older than us.We have the rights about talking what we want & speech’s to have freedom and to be free.I know that when you treat a kid how you are not supposed to you will feel guilty and bad.
    Good job. So grownups shouldn’t make you feel bad or guilty?–Ms. Mercer

• tonie w

PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO EAT WHERE EVER THEY WANT WHEN EVER THEY WANT.
    This is not enough, and DON’T USE ALL CAPS! PLEASE WRITE MORE.–Ms. Mercer

• Dulce F.

People should have the right to eat what ever they want when ever they want. They should have fun with their friends every day coming up with ideas that help the community center.They also should wear what they want every single day.
    Good job.–Ms. Mercer

• Luis S

I think that kids should do whatever they want to do.Why, because kids are equal like any kids.It does not matter if your black or white.
    Good job, what would be “whatever they want”?–Ms. Mercer

• Ger V.

I think every have to write to get every they want and get need.The second think is if they write they might now in other people language.The third think is if you write you will get food to eat.

Are you saying that children should get what they need, and should be able to keep their language? I don’t understand, PLEASE REWRITE.–Ms. Mercer

• SamanthaM.

Kids should have rights to make their own choice.
    Good idea, but not enough, PLEASE WRITE MORE.–Ms. Mercer

• Andy C.

I think children have right because like when somebody fall you ask if their are ok so you have to help them.When somebody fall down you don’t laugh because you will hurt people feeling.
    I don’t understand, do you mean that people have a right to be treated politely? PLEASE REWRITE.–Ms. Mercer

• Ruben.C

A child should have the right to be free. And i think i should have the right to have a cell phone because you never know if a kid could get lost and if they have a cell phone they could tell there mom or call there dad so they could pick them up or help them if there lost.

Good, so you think this would make them safer?–Ms. Mercer

• Nicholas C.

I think everybody should have rights even for kids.To go outside having cell phones and laptops.When some one is hurt we can help them by saying if they are ok.

Good.–Ms. Mercer

• erika z.

I think every kid should have their own right.Children should have the right to go to school.Also people over 18 should have the right to go to college if they want to.
    Good. Why is the right to education important?–Ms. Mercer

• JenniferR.

The rights I think children should have are speaking freely
    about what they think.Like, saying what they want and don’t want.I think it is fair because children should have to
    speak up.
    Good.–Ms. Mercer

• isaiah

I think dreaming is cool because you can dream any thing you want.I hope that I become famous and rich with lots of nice cars .
    I don’t understand, do you mean that kids should have the right to have dreams? PLEASE REWRITE.–Ms. Mercer

• kawm v.

She have the right to help the old woman. Her bother was not nice to her. we have the right to run and play around. I had the right to have lot of pet to take care of animal. Me and my family had the right that hmong people can have animals.
    This can be an important right if you love and care for animals, but can all people in Sacramento (not just Hmong) have animals? –Ms. Mercer

• Annabela S.

I think children should be able to do anything they want to (if it is a good choice).I think they should do anything they want to because some children are smart enough to know not to go to strangers’ houses. Like in the movie, Selena should be able to have more rights and her brother should have some responsibilities.
    Good points! What if some kids aren’t smart enough to make good choices? What will happen to them?–Ms. Mercer

• Vinnie S.

I think that kids should get to vote. Kids want to vote what if kids want to vote to a person then they don’t get to. But we can’t run for president. It’s a hard job and adults can handle it. You have to be very good at doing it. Have to work day and day with know fun. It’s your responsibilities. want goes wrong is destiny.
    Excellent! Interesting point about destiny. I like how you see rights coming with responsibilities.–Ms. Mercer

• eduardos.

I think that chilhdren should have phone for a emergese

Good point about emergencies, but not enough writing. PLEASE WRITE MORE.–Ms. Mercer

• julie x.

Some right is that girl should go to school
    because some girl don`t go to school.
    some they don`t even have school and it`s not very
    kind if we are smart and people at the back are not smart
    like us.
    If this world is smart i won`t mind but some kids don`t
    even go to school and they only stay home and play or
    help their mom only.
    I think if you don`t go to school the best thing you could do is helping your mom and dad do work..
    Very Good!–Ms. Mercer

• carlosm

I think that we should .Have a phone . If we git hit .

This is not three sentences. PLEASE WRITE MORE.–Ms. Mercer

• Eliverta M.

I think the right for child is that they should be whatever they want. I think that because some come from different places and can’t be anything. Now you know the right of a child.
    Good, so you think that people should have the same chance or opportunities to be successful?–Ms. Mercer

• jayv

i think that kids should have all rights to cellphones and talking on it.and we should have it so we could talk to who ever we want to.also they should let us ride our rice rockets and our go-carts so we could from school and back with out getting hurt.
    But you could get hurt riding rockets, so is that safe. I like the point about cell phones.–Ms. Mercer

• Jorge S.

I think students should have cell phones so they could call anyone they want. I even think that students also have lockers so they can carry everything. I also think that they should pick what they want for lunch.
    Excellent!–Ms. Mercer

• malenam

I think children should have freedom because it’s not really nice being in the house. Also kids should always have fun out side with other peoples.All of us should have rights to go any were we want.
    This sounds good, but is this about playing or traveling? –Ms. Mercer

• Angel S.

Children have the right to have rights. An example would be for they can have fun. Thats why I think children should have rights.
    Excellent!–Ms. Mercer

• kerryv.

i think that girls from other countries should go to school. i think that because they should get the same rights as boys and not stay home to cook and clean up after the boys. they should have their own freedom and go to school to learn. that’s what i think.
    Good idea. You know that more girls/women are going to college in this country now than men?–Ms. Mercer

• Xian L.

I think children around the world should get more rights. For example, some kids have always been treated unfairly by parents who doesn’t understand them. Children have feelings, too.
    So children have emotional needs and rights? Good job.–Ms. Mercer

• Augustine p

kids should have there rights to have there own phone to call.
    This is not enough. It’s a good start though. PLEASE WRITE MORE.–Ms. Mercer

• nancyd

I think that all kids have the right play with there friends.Kids have the right to wash the dishes and to put there cloths in the laundry and the dryer.All kids have the right to do something in the house or play with there friends too.
    Is washing dishes a right or a responsibility? I like the part about having friends and playing.–Ms. Mercer